Japanese Sweet Potato with Bok Choy, Shiitake Mushrooms & Tahini Miso Spread
Japanese sweet potatoes, bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, tahini and miso are some of the most loved foods by my family, and so I wanted to come up with a recipe that combined them all for dinner the other night. To say this recipe was a hit would be an understatement; everybody was raving about the combination of ingredients and how they complimented each other throughout the entire meal. If you're looking for a bursting-with-flavor, healthy, hearty and ultra-satisfying autumn or winter meal, this is it. Enjoy, friends!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time (sweet potatoes): 1 hour
Cook time (bok choy and shiitake mushrooms): 10 minutes
4 medium-large Japanese sweet potatoes
3 heads bok choy
2 cups shiitake mushrooms
2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
1 tablespoons garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 scallions, chopped
Tahini miso spread
1 cup tahini
2 tablespoons sweet white miso
1 tablespoon soy cause
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup water
1. Wash sweet potatoes, poke them with a fork in several places. Bake at 400 degrees for about an hour, until knife pierces sweet potatoes easily.
2. Make the tahini miso spread. Put all tahini miso spread ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary, but be careful not to add too much; you want the consistency to be that of a spread, not a dressing. Set spread aside.
3. Slice and discard the base of bok choy, wash leaves and set aside.
4. Wash the shiitake mushrooms. Cut off the very tip of the stems. Set aside.
5. Heat one tablespoon of refined coconut oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Sauté mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Turn off heat and set aside.
6. Heat one tablespoon of refined coconut oil over medium heat in a wok or large pot. Add minced garlic to pan and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add bok choy; sauté until leaves turn bright green and stalks become slightly translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with a pinch of sea salt. Turn off heat and set aside.
7. Remove sweet potatoes from oven, cut each potato in half.
8. To plate: spread a heaping spoonful (about 2 tablespoons) of tahini miso spread on the bottom of a large plate; place half of a sweet potato on top, then add bok choy and shiitake mushrooms. Garnish with chopped scallions and a sprinkle of gamasio.