Apple Pie & Almond Oatmeal
Leaves of red, yellow, orange...a cool breeze in the air...fall feels like its coming into full swing here in The Berkshires. It's Saturday mornings like these that I love nothing more than a warm, cozy breakfast, and a good magazine to curl up with on the couch.
One of my favorite go-to autumn breakfasts is oatmeal because it is a dish of endless possibilities and creativity. This morning I was craving something sweet, so I decided to make apple pie oatmeal -- much easier than making a full-on apple pie, yet similarly satisfying and more healthy!
Cook time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1 small-medium apple
1 handful toasted almonds
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon roasted almond butter
1 teaspoon raw honey
1/4 cup warm whole milk (optional)
1. Bring 1 cup of water and a pinch of sea salt to a boil; stir in oats, cover and turn heat to low. Cook approximately 10 minutes, or until oatmeal is fully cooked.
2. Peel and chop apple. Bring 1/4 cup water and a pinch of sea salt to a boil; add apples, cover and turn heat to medium. Let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until apples are soft.
3. Drain excess water from apples, leaving about 2 tablespoons of water in the pot. (The water will be sweet from cooking the apples in it. This will keep the apples from getting dry and also add nice flavor to the oatmeal when you combine them.) Stir in 1/2 tablespoon butter, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg.
4. Combine apple mixture with oats; stir.
5. Put apple oatmeal in a bowl, drizzle 1 tablespoon roasted almond butter and 1 teaspoon raw honey on top. Add a small handful of roasted almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
6. Serve with a side of warm milk for pouring over the oats. You can warm the milk in the same pot you combined the oats and apples in; it will collect a nice flavor from the cinnamon, nutmeg, and apples.